Would you like to learn techniques you can use to improve memory, focus, gut and brain health, prevent dementia and alzheimers?
Dr. Marc Milstein specializes in taking the leading science research on brain health and presents it in a way that entertains, educates, and empowers his audience to live better. His presentations provide science-based solutions to keep the brain healthy, boost productivity, and maximize longevity.
Dr. Marc Milstein’s background
- Was researching breast cancer at UCLA and found a link to brain health
- Decided to get into brain health and research
What Happens To Our Brain As We Age?
- Our brain shrinks by 5% every decade starting at age of 40
- Can have an impact on lifestyle
- We can slow down and reverse the process
- It’s important to remove the build up of waste products in the brain
What Are Some Changes In How Researchers Are Advising On Brain Health?
- Simple lifestyle factors such as exercise
- Manage stress
- Eat right
- Optimize sleep
- Take care of overall health and environment
What Can We Do To Improve Memory?
- Slowing down multi-tasking is important
- Over age of 60, 12-18% of people show mild cognitive decline
- In many cases, this can progress to dementia
- Simplest ways are to optimize sleep to clean up the waste in the brain
- Walk more…30 minutes a day significantly lower risk of memory loss
- Walk at a faster pace – this helps keep the brain younger
How Does Stress Impact The Brain?
- A little stress is good for the brain
- Too much stress shrinks the hippocampus – which is important for memory
- Manage long term stress – very important
- Mindfulness and meditation is great for managing stress
- Doing activities that you love to do
Do Brain Games Actually Work?
- Sudoku or cross word puzzles can be good, but you must do more
- Brain games involve more marketing….so be careful with these.
- Reading a new book, learning an instrument, joining a new group, doing new activities all help the brain
How Do Devices Impact Humans?
- Devices are good for connection
- Also have downsides as they are addictive, and impacts sleep, prevents face to face contact, being in the moment
- Put away devices and take a break from technology
How Can People Boost Productivity?
- Put devices away to get into high levels of focus
- Set timers for a few minutes to do uninterrupted work
- People had breakthrough ideas when they focused for longer periods of time without distractions
- Be aware of doing the most important things in the day
- Your focus drains as the day goes on
What’s Going On With Anxiety & Depression?
- Depression rates have skyrocketed in the US from 8 to 33% in just the last 3 years
- People with anxiety and depression develop dementia 5 years earlier than people without anxiety and depression
- Many environmental factors are causing depression
- Can also be caused by inflammation, immune response and more.
- Important to start with your general physician first – get the regular tests, then speak with a psychiatrist, also look at the basics with stress, sleep, exercise and nutrition
What’s The Latest On Dementia and Alzheimers?
- Lifestyle factors can reduce risk of dementia by 30-60%
- We need to get many items under control, first of all lifestyle
- Dementia and alzheimers can start to manifest decades earlier
What’s the Connection Between Gut and Brain?
- Both gut and brain can influence each other
- It’s important to take care of each
- Prebiotics such as fiber are great
- Probiotics such as yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut and kimchi are great as well
- Eat non-processed food
How To Slow Down Or Reverse Brain Aging?
- Don’t need to start with a brain scan
- Try to put the phone away and see if you can remember things
- See how your balance is doing…you can do sports, dancing, yoga, pilates and more
- Are you walking enough…and how fast is your walking speed
Where Can People Find You?
- Website is DrMarcMilstein
- Instagram, Youtube and other social media: @drmarcmilstein