Wendie Trubow, MD, MBA, IFM certified practitioner, is passionate about helping women optimize their health and lives as a functional medicine gynecologist.
Through her struggles with mold and metal toxicity, Celiac disease, and other health issues, Dr Trubow has developed a deep sense of compassion and expertise for what her patients are facing.
She is the co-author of Dirty Girl: Ditch the Toxins, Look Great, and Feel Freaking Amazing and has been regularly featured in MindBodyGreen and Huffington Post.
02:20 How Dr Trubow got into health and wellness?
- Got into sales after college
- Went to med school – obgyn
- Had a health crisis – went to functional medical doctor
- Found she had celiac disease and food sensitivities
- Got lead exposure on vacation in France
- Also had mycotoxins prior
10:00 Where do people get environmental toxins?
- Environmental toxins are making everyone sick
- Food: herbicides, pesticides, artificial flavors, preservatives
- Sugar: also a toxin
- Alcohol: also a toxin
- Plastic containers contain BPA and endocrine disruptors
- Beauty products: hair dye, makeup, lotion, shampoos, new clothing, laundry detergent
- Bedding has flame retardardants. Cars has plastics
- Plastics in food
14:10 How does lead impact humans?
- When pregnant, women get rid of 50% of toxins
- Many are transferred to baby
- Liver can process and excrete: phase 1 and phase 2
- Lead can be stored in bones – it causes bone loss and osteoporosis
- Lead also causes autoimmune, degenerative, cardiovascular, dementias
20:00 How to prevent any more toxins from coming into your body?
- Filter your air
- Filter your water
- Improve food quality, reduce alcohol and sugar
- Look up environmental working group (EWG.org)
23:00 How can individuals use EWG as a resource?
- You can find products on EWG directly
- Or you can look for products for concerns
25:55 Are toxins or heavy metals causing autoimmune diseases?
- It’s not easy to draw a direct conclusions between toxins and autoimmune
- But over time, people don’t feel as well as they used to
- They chalk this to aging, but chronic diseases have become their own epidemics
28:50 How does an individual start to identify and get rid of toxins?
- Dr Trubow starts with learning about your food, any food sensitivities, sleep, gut function, minerals, nutrients, hormones
- The list above has to be optimized first
- Then you get to heavy metals and toxins
32:20 Is there an epidemic of constipation?
- There is a lot of constipation out there
- Can also lead to estrogen dominance