You’ve heard about them, but what are the benefits of Omega-3 fats?
On this episode of Anti-Aging Hacks, dive into the juicy details.
What are Omega fats and why are they essential?
- There are several fatty acids, omega 3 and omega 6 are essential because our bodies cannot make them.
- Omega-3 come primarily from the sea, starts off in the sea.
- Made in the ocean by single celled organisms, then go up the food chain into the fish
- We cannot make omega-3 or omega-6, but your body can make omega-9
What are the benefits of Omega-3 fats (and Omega-6)?
- Fats are used to make cell walls of every cell in your body
- Omega-3 fats can make cell walls more flexible. This is important for red blood cells which squeeze into tight capillaries to deliver blood, oxygen and nutrients
- Cells can use omega-3’s in the membranes to make enzymes, mediators, prostaglandins, eicosanoids to regulate inflammation and many other positive effects in the body
- Omega-3’s can reduce triglycerides in blood, can slightly reduce blood pressure and may also have effects on heart rate variability
- Omega-3’s can also make blood thinner
Why Red Blood Cell Membrane Is A Good Marker Of Omega-3 Levels?
- Red blood cells are made in bone marrow. The amount of saturated, poly and mono-unsaturated percentages are fixed.
- Your diet doesn’t change the percentages based on your consumption of saturated or mono-unsaturated, but omega-3’s and omega-6’s seesaw in the membrane
- Brain is very high in DHA
How Can You Tell If You Are Low On Omega-3 or 6?
- Typical signs of deficiency are dry skin, dermatitis, dry eye
- The other correlation is high triglycerides in your blood
How Does Your Body Metabolize Omega-3’s and Omega-6’s
- The body does the conversions in the liver
- Essential omega-6 starts with linoleic acid and gets converted to many others
- The other important omega-6 is arachadonic acid
- On omega-3, alpha linolenic acid in the main fatty acid, which comes from soybean oil and flaxseed oil
- This metabolizes to EPA and DHA…but the conversions are very low in the range of 1-5%
- These fatty acids are tightly regulated on the omega-6 side.
Do Omega 3 and Omega 6 Compete For The Same Enzymes?
- Yes, they compete for the same enzymes
- It is a complicated story because we don’t understand
How Would We Get Enough Omega-3’s in Diet?
- First, start with testing. Get the omegaquant test to get the percentage of EPA and DHA in your red cell membranes.
- Target range is 8-12% of EPA and DHA
- High fish diets lead to these numbers
- SMASH (sardines, mackerel, anchovies, salmon, herring) – are high in omega-3
- Eat these every day or every other day
- Otherwise use EPA/DHA supplement 1-3g/day
How Can You Source Your Omega-3 and Omega-6?
- Smaller fish have lower mercury from the ocean
- Farm vs. wild: depends on the farm. Farmed atlantic salmon has a high EPA/DHA. Wild salmon can have a lower amount of fat because it is leaner.
- There is no standard feed for farmed fish, so the omega 3 levels can go up and down
- Also growing EPA and DHA from algae on land and feeding these fish the algae to increase levels of omega-3
- Watch out for tuna, shark, swordfish, king mackerel, albacore tuna.
- For vegans, can take algae. Flaxseed oil does raise your EPA, but not DHA.
- 1500 mg per EPA or DHA. 50/50 or 60/40 percent of EPA/DHA is fine.
Are there absorption issues or types of supplements?
- Ethyl ester form of supplements are not absorbed as well, and especially if you are taking them without food
- Triglyceride form – can take with or without food
- Phospholipid form – mainly made from krill oil. These are as well absorbed as the triglyceride form
What Are The Anti-Aging Benefits of Omega-3 Fats?
- Higher the omega-3 index is, the longer people live
- Higher omega-3 level at age 65 led to a lower mortality rate by age 75
- Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory
- Slower loss of telomere length
- Omega-3’s can regulate mTOR
What Is The Omega Quant Test?
- The test measures EPA and DHA as a percent of your cell membranes in red blood cells
- Dr. Harris believes that the right percentage is between 8-12%
- Can get the test at Omegaquant.com
- Omega 6:3 ratio is all the omega 6 to omega 3.
- Dr. Harris recommends eating more omega 3 than reducing omega 6.
- AA:EPA ratio is arachadonic acid to EPA ratio, but this ignores DHA
To learn more about which foods can help you beat disease, live longer and defy aging – check out this interview with the author of Eat To Beat Disease.
Howdy are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started
and create my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your
own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, simply visit this website all the time because it offers feature contents, thanks
Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.
A person essentially lend a hand to make critically
posts I would state. This is the very first time I
frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made
to create this actual put up incredible. Wonderful process!
I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and
was wondering what all is needed to get setup?
I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to
follow you if that would be ok. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog
and look forward to new posts.
My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to
be what precisely I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content
for you? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you
write about here. Again, awesome web log!
you are in reality a excellent webmaster.
The site loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you
are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork.
you’ve done a excellent job on this matter!
Feel free to surf to my homepage – buy cbd gummies
Your way of addressin this subject is both terrific as well as inspiring.
magnificent post, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector don’t understand this.
You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you have a great
readers’ base already!
My blog: buy weed
By far among the most awareness filled blogs I have actually stumbled upon.