Faraz Khan asks Dr Nathan Bryan questions on nitric oxide and why it’s such as important regulator of health. In addition, we discuss how it works in the body and how it can be used to reverse skin aging and live a longer life.
Dr. Bryan has been involved in nitric oxide research for the past 20 years and has made many seminal discoveries in the field. His many seminal discoveries have resulted dozens of issued US and International patents and the product technology resulting from his discoveries and inventions has improved patient care worldwide.
Dr. Bryan is a successful entrepreneur and Founder of HumanN, Inc, Pneuma Nitric Oxide, LLC, Nitric Oxide Innovations, LLC and Bryan Nutraceuticals, LLC. His product technology is responsible for hundreds of millions of product sales worldwide. Most recently, Dr. Bryan serves as Founder and CEO of Nitric Oxide Innovations, LLC, a privately-held, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that is actively engaged in the discovery and development of nitric oxide based therapies.
Dr Bryan’s Background
- Phd in molecular and cellular physiology
- Got introduced to nitric oxide in his Phd program
- Worked under one of the guys who won the nobel prize for nitric oxide
- Dr Bryan has been awarded many patents
How Is Nitric Oxide Produced In Our Body?
- First is through an enzyme called nitric oxide synthase found in neurons, nerve cells. immune cells, endothelial cells, epithelial cells and sinuses in airways.
- This enzyme converts arginine into nitric oxide
- This pathway works less efficiently as we get older
- The other pathway is through diet, in the form of inorganic nitrate found in green leafy vegetables
- 90 minutes after we consume spinach, kale or arugula, nitrate is secreted in the saliva.
- Bacteria convert this nitrate into nitrite and then to nitric oxide. When we swallow saliva for the next 3-4 hours, we get a burst of nitric oxide gas in our stomach
- This works if stomach is making stomach acid
Why Is It Important To Have Adequate Nitric Oxide In Your Blood Vessels?
- Nitric oxide regulates blood flow in all cells of our body
- If we want recall memory, then we need extra blood flow to pre-frontal cortex
- If we want to start exercising, then we need increased profusion of coronary arteries
- For sex, we need improved blood flow to pelvic reasons by dilating blood vessels
- If you cannot make NO, then you cannot make blood flow in time of need
- Vascular dementia, ischemic heart disease and erectile dysfunction
Does Nitric Oxide Impact All Organs Of The Body?
- Yes, it can act as a a hormone and protect many organs
How To Fix The Nitric Oxide Synthase Enzyme In Endothelial Cells?
- It becomes dysfunctional due to the oxidation of tetrahydrobioptrin (BH4)
- A redox coupler prevents oxidation of BH4, which restores the function of nitric oxide synthase
What’s The Relationship Between Nitric Oxide and Heart Function?
- In heart disease, coronary arteries get blocked which can cause a rupture and a heart attack
- The only way then to improve oxygen delivery and blood flow to heart is to dilate arteries – by producing more nitric oxide
- IF you lose the ability to make nitric oxide, that precedes the functional loss by many years
- There is some evidence that giving nitric oxide to existing cardiac patients after a heart attack improves heart function
What Lifestyle Factors Cause Reduced Nitric Oxide?
- The rate limiting step is the oxidation of BH4
- High glycemic index
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Using fluoride toothpaste, mouthwash and anti-acids reduces nitric oxide
Which Diseases Are Associated With Reduced Blood Flow?
- Heart disease
- Sexual dysfunction
- Renal disease
- Vascular dementia
- Every chronic disease is characterized by reduced blood flow