Megan Lyons is a sought-after health & wellness expert, a Harvard graduate who left the business world to follow her passion for wellness by opening The Lyons’ Share Wellness in 2014.
Since then, she’s become a Double Board Certified Nutritionist with expertise in a variety of health topics, and has amassed over 10,000 hours of 1-to-1 nutrition consulting with clients internationally.
Megan is the author of “Start Here: 7 Easy, Diet-Free Steps to Achieve Your Ultimate Health and Happiness,” a Top 10 Amazon Bestseller in Nutrition, and hosts a top podcast on health and wellness, “Wellness Your Way with Megan Lyons.”
02:20 How Megan Got Into Health and Wellness
- Went to Harvard
- Joined Mckinsey consulting group and enjoyed her career for a while
- Then decided to do something else
4:46 What Is Metabolic Health?
- Metabolic health is how we turn food into energy
- How you utilize nutrients for energy
- Being metabolically unhealthy is one of the following: High triglycerides, high waist circumference, high blood pressure, imbalanced cholesterol
- It is possible to reverse metabolic disfunction
07:55 Benefits of Blood Glucose Monitors?
- Megan found a lot of information in her continuous glucose monitor
- Try it for 2 weeks, or even longer if possible
- If you can’t, then Megan helps people cut out sugary foods
- Then, start taking 10 minute walks after the meal
- Pair up carbs with protein and fat, it helps to blunt sugar spike
- Next, reduce processed carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, crackers
- Choose healthier options instead
- Increase protein, fat and fiber
14:12 How often should people be eating in a day?
- Eating 6 meals a day does get your metabolism up slightly, but its not good long term
- We can serve our digestion and blood sugar better by eating fewer times and fasting for a few hours every day
- Megan has her clients to fast for 12 hours per day to start – this is easy to do
- Men can do better on longer periods, women can benefit from fewer hours
- You can have three meals a day and not have lots of snacks
21:47 How much protein can we digest per meal?
- Humans can digest 35 grams of protein per meal
- Getting protein is another reason to eat 3 meals a day
23:25 What are great foods for metabolic health?
- Keeping blood sugar low is very good
- Carbohydrates from fiber are good, but carbs from sugar are bad
- Protein, fat and fiber are good for metabolic health
27:30 Are beans and lentils much better than bread?
- Lentils and beans have a lot of fiber and protein that slows sugar release
- Ground flour spikes blood sugar much more than whole foods such as potato or beans
- With naked carbs, make sure to include plenty of fat, protein and fiber
31:20 What should be the overall plan to be overall metabolically healthy?
- You have to do good in all 4 areas
- Sleep, stress, food, exercise
33:30 What is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease?
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is the #1 cause of liver transplant
- But this is caused by high blood sugar levels
- The liver can start to store fats to compensate for high blood sugar levels
- Eventually the liver can get scarred and it will be hard to reverse
38:30 Megan’s 3 Top Tips For Metabolic Health
- Go for awe walks – look for something that inspires you in your everyday walks
- Get a protein, fat and fiber rich meals right away
- Get to bed 30 minutes earlier than you would
40:20 Where you can find Megan