On this show, Dr. Anthony and Faraz Khan discuss how people can lose weight after age 40 and keep it off.
How Dr. Balduzzi got into health
- His father passed at age 42 and it changed his life
- Started eating healthier foods and working out
- Did personal coaching and got into naturopathic medicine
- Won body building championships in University of Pennsylvania and Vegas
- Now he helps busy men and women lose weight after 40
What is the process of fat creation?
- Our body is an ancient machine operating in a modern world
- We developed fat cells to store energy for times of need
- We have two central canals: digestive tract and spinal cord
- Our body breaks down foods into smaller pieces that can be absorbed from the small intestine
- The oils in our food are carried into bloodstream and then stored into fat cells
- For carbs, they can be converted into fat as well
- Insulin is the master storage hormone which opens up cells and allows calories to come in
- How much you eat matters – calorie targets are important
- It’s important to create caloric deficits but can do that via a more balanced approach
Hack for eating a big meal without weight gain?
- Your body first uses carbs to supply glycogen to muscle and liver cells
- After the glycogen is topped off, only then does your body convert excess carbs into fat
- When you are about to eat a big meal, make sure you deplete your glycogen in muscles and liver
- One easy way to deplete the glycogen is to fast for an extended time before the big meal
- Working out before a big meal can also help deplete carbs
- The worst time to have a big meal is when you are already topped out
- Check out my podcast with Dr John Jaquish on how to build muscle and lose fat at the same time
What surprising things do fat cells do in the body?
- Fat cells secrete hormones and peptides that regulate metabolism
- Your body removes environmental toxins from your blood and stores it in fat
- Fat cells store vitamin A, D, E, K which are fat soluble vitamins
- Fat cells secrete leptin which helps regulate appetite and metabolism
- Too many fat cells also release inflammatory cytokines
Are your fat cells pre-determined early on?
- In early development, your body decides how many fat cells to keep around for the rest of your life
- The pivotal age may be 18-22
How does body shrink fat cells?
- The body meets your energetic demands
- During exercise, your body may break down the glycogen or fats to create energy or ATP
- With fats, they need to be released from fat cells
- Then fats gets transported to the metabolically active tissue
- This gets into the mitochondria to be burned for ATP
Dr. Balduzzi’s strategy for clients to lose weight after 40
- We don’t do the right things
- Business steam rolls you into making bad decisions
- You need individual and unique health system to lose the weight
- Morning and evening routines,
- The first lever is nutrition – Dr Balduzzi helps you create a pro-active schedule with options
- He standardizes the first few meals of the day
- Secondly, bring a healthier metabolism back with something you love
- Dr. Balduzzi prefers cardio circuit training
- Thirdly, Dr Balduzzi provides a community aspect to hold you accountable
Where can busy men and women find Dr. Balduzzi?
Get this tips to lose the weight after 40 and keep it off