In this episode of Anti-Aging Hacks, Katie Wells from Wellness Mama shares top health tips for busy moms. She also describes how she lost 90 pounds in less than 2 years!
Katie Wells, CTNC, MCHC, Founder and CEO of WellnessMama.com and Wellnesse.com. A mom of six with a background in journalism, she took health into her own hands and started researching to find answers to her health struggles.
Her research turned into a blog and podcast, and she’s now written over 1,500 blog posts, three books, and was named one of the 100 most influential people in health and wellness.
How Katie got into health and wellness?
She came into this from a personal struggle. Had symptoms after her first baby. She wanted to help make the next generation do better than us.
Began researching her own health problems and why society was seeing more health issues in children.
She wanted get practical information to moms, so she started her blog and podcast.
What’s different in health and wellness (& anti-aging) now compared to the early days?
In current times, the information overload has become overwhelming
At the same time, society is getting healthier and more aware of healthy options such as organic, grass fed, coconut oils and healthier options much more easily available which leads to higher level discussions about health.
At the same time, there’s conflicting advice from different health experts.
Katie believes the answers lie somewhere in the middle of the conflicting advice…we are all bio-individually different, so we should try things out for ourselves and figure out what suits our health best.
How to stay organized with 6 kids at home?
Katie started running her household very effectively. Her kids have become much more proactive.
It’s important to get the priorities right even at home. This keeps focus and calm at home.
Wellness Mama’s Core Health and Wellness Tips
- Manage light effectively. Katie goes outside every morning and gets light, even if it’s cloudy. This helps build melatonin at night, this also builds healthier stress and cortisol patterns. Also get out during mid-day to get some of the benefits of bright light such as Vitamin D creation, improvement in mitochondrial function and ATP creation. Avoid blue light in the evenings, flip on amber or red lights to help the body raise melatonin.
- Optimize the body’s natural detox pathways through movement and sweat. Movement causes heart rate changes and vasodilation. High intensity workout and sauna are really good. Sauna causes reduction in all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, stroke, cancer etc. It also intensifies the benefits of the workout if you do it after.
- Use timing to advantage: Katie lost 90 pounds of body weight when she incorporated timing of meals. She implemented some key strategies: a. She doesn’t take supplements every day and not on weekends. b. She only eats during daylight hours. c. She consumes enough calories, including 30 grams of protein per meal. d. She has dialed in her sleep timing and workouts. She recommends people use an oura ring, glucose monitor and pay attention to their body.
- The first meal of the day is most important. Having enough calories and nutrition is essential.
- Katie also viewed her food as fuel and focused on how to get the nourishment vs. calories vs. weight loss.
- Audit questions you ask yourself: the subconscious has a lot of negative scripts. Flip them to positive such as “how is this so much fun” and “why do I love healthy food”.
Should women fast and is that ok with hormones?
Katie started small with fasting. She found her body responded really well to fasting.
She discovered that she has favorable genes for fasting. Is a big fan of metabolic flexibility. But don’t fast if pregnant or lactating.
Katie started water fasting and did a 10-day water fast. Beginning of every year, she does a 10-day fast and reads Viktor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning.
As long as women are well nourished with optimum nutrient levels….fasting should be fine.
What Katie does for genetic information?
She has used Nutrition Genome, which focuses on nutrition and lifestyle aspects as well.
She’s also used SelfDecode reports.
Top anti-aging tips from Katie
- Get enough daily sunlight
- Proper hydration is important. She also uses Element electrolytes.
- Micronutrients from food are more important than just calories.
- Sleep is extremely important
Katie’s new brand is called Wellnesse
Haircare and toothpaste were missing in alternative brands that were non-toxic and healthy
Shampoo, conditioner, dry shampoo, toothpaste, hand sanitizer.
Where can people find Katie
Wellnessmama, Wellness Mama Podcast and @WellnessMama on instagram.
Katie’s new brand: Wellnesse
For other podcasts on how to lose weight and gain muscle fast, check out my interview with Dr. John Jaquish.