On this podcast, Faraz Khan interviews women’s intermittent fasting expert, Cynthia Thurlow, to ask her how women can fast during their monthly cycle and in menopause and post-menopause.
[Sponsor message: If you are looking to get thicker, fuller and stronger hair naturally, make sure to check out https://fullyvital.com for a 100% natural hair wellness solution. Use code antiaginghacks for 15% off]
Cynthia Thurlow is a nurse practitioner, CEO and founder of the Everyday Wellness Project, and international speaker, with over 9.6 million views for her second TEDx talk “Intermittent Fasting: Transformational Technique”.
With over 20 years experience in health and wellness, Cynthia is a globally recognized expert in intermittent fasting and nutritional health, and has been featured on ABC, FOX5, KTLA, CW, Medium, Entrepreneur, and The Megyn Kelly Show. Cynthia developed her Intermittent Fasting plan after entering her forties and experiencing a health breakdown.
Intermittent fasting didn’t just help her lose weight; she had more energy, fewer cravings, and lower blood glucose levels. She has now worked with thousands of women in her private practice to make her unique program of intermittent fasting work for them, too.
Her new book, Intermittent Fasting Transformation, (March 15, 2022) offers a customizable nutrition guide to feeling your best at every stage of life through hormone balancing, lifting brain fog, weight loss, detoxification, and much more. She has now worked with thousands of women in her private practice to make her unique program of intermittent fasting work for them, too.
Cynthia’s Background In Health
- Started as an ER nurse
- Got disillusioned with the western medicine approach
- At one point, she couldn’t do it anymore. So she left clinical medicine.
- Did two TED talks on peri-menopause and intermittent fasting
- Her second TED talk had 11 million views
- Started helping women in mid-life with health and wellness
Why Women Gain More Weight Every Decade?
- There are many reasons
- Women have less lean muscle mass and more fat than men
- Eating too frequently, too little protein, too much rancid seed oils
- Too much processed carbs
- We are living in high stress all day long
- Endocrine disruptive chemicals in food
- We don’t move as much, or people over exercise
- Gut and hormones also play a part
- Women are going into perimenopause starting at age 35 these days
What Is Metabolic Flexibility?
- Metabolic flexibility is the ability to use both fats and carbs as a fuel substrate
- Most people’s bodies are not able to switch between carbs and fats
- Here is how to structure your meals according to Cynthia: focus on protein first, add in healthy fats, and add carbs at last.
- Eat non-starchy veggies, not processed carbs.
- Keep blood pressure low, keep HDL up, fasting glucose should be 75-90, even fasting insulin between 2-5, reduce waist circumference under 45 for men and under 35 for women.
What Can You Eat Or Drink During Fast
- Black tea and coffee
- Unflavored electrolytes
How To Fast During Reproductive Years
- If you’re a thin woman under the age of 35, there is no reason to be fasting every day
- It’s important to align your fasting with your menstrual cycle
- The day you start mensturation until ovulation…(day 1-14), this is the estrogen dominant phase
- Women can push themselves a bit more during this phase, fast longer, eat low carbs, workout harder
- The luteal phase is when progesterone dominates…women should take it easy during this time
- In luteal phase, it’s recommended to go easy on workouts and eat differently, and not fast as much
- Best to do a shorter 12-13 hour fast during the luteal phase
- It’s also important to incorporate variety in your fasting plan
- After menopause, women can fast very effectively…can fast the same as men
Are There Circadian Factors To Consider When Fasting?
- It’s best to eat earlier in the day. For example, break fast at 9 or 10 am and finish your last meal by 3 or 4 pm.
- A higher carb meal is better eaten at mid-day rather than late in the evening
- We have melatonin clocks in the gut
- During follicular phase, women can eat carbs later in the day
- During luteal phase, its best to eat them early in the day
What Mistakes People Make With Fasting?
- Cynthia recommends at least 100 grams of proteins during the day
- Stop eating inflammatory seed oils
- Be careful with carbs
- Make sure to sleep well
- Be careful with fasting too much
Where You Can Find Cynthia
- Her book is called Intermittent Fasting Transformation
- Her website is CynthiaThurlow.com
- She hosts the Everyday Wellness podcast
- Co-host of the Intermittent Fasting Podcast with Melanie Avalon
- Also on facebook at Facebook.com/CynthiaThurlow