Today I bring on Alex Martinez, who is co-founder and CEO of Intrinsic Medicine. Alex served as a Director at Ionis Pharmaceuticals, a biotechnology company specializing in developing RNA-targeted therapeutics.
Previously, he co-founded and served as Director at a clinical-stage digital health company, and was an associate attorney with Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, a U.S. law firm .
He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan Law School and his Bachelor of Arts in Health & Societies from the University of Pennsylvania.
2:30 How Alex Got Into Health and Wellness?
- Worked at a therapeutic company prior
- At Ionis, ran the competitive analysis side
- Alex realized that safety was hampering drug development
- Founded Intrinsic Medicine from a safety first standpoint
06:40 How Alex picked human milk oligosaccharides?
- All our chronic diseases come from dysbiosis and immune system disregulation
- Found human milk oligosaccharides in high concentrations in human milk
- Started looking them individually to see if they could help heal the human body
- This can re-regulate
11:40 Oligosaccharides are not important for calories, just for healthy growth?
- During pregnancy, women with rheumatoid arthritis go into remission
- Taking these compounds orally helps gut – reduces inflammation
- They also help immune system perform better
16:20 Are these compounds immune suppressive in any way?
- The oligosaccharides do not suppress immune response
- They help balance the immune system
- Humera was a drug that is a monoclonal antibody for inflammatory conditions
- When people use Humera for a long time, it increases risk of cancer, severe infections and heart problems
- This is the challenge with pharmaceuticals
22:00 What’s the regulatory approach to getting them approved?
- These compounds are already in milk formula for infants
- This allows the company to jump right into phase 2 clinical trials
- Alex is working to do this process the right way
26:30 How is the regulatory development strategy designed?
- Testing in Australia first, its easier to move faster
- They want to generate clinical data for global regulatory discussions
33:20 How are HMO’s created synthetically and safely?
- Synthetic biology companies can help create the carbohydrates in fermentation conditions
- Then they are isolated – so completely identical
35:45 How will these compounds go to market?
- These will be drugs in the near future
- Alex is also trying to help create supplements can help ameliorate conditions
39:35 How can you find Alex?
- Go to IntrinsicMedicine.com and sign up for Alex’s newsletter
See other podcasts with Faraz Khan.