Cortney McDermott is a TEDx speaker, internationally recognized expert in self-development and business strategy, and the bestselling author of “Change Starts Within You.”
Her new book, “Give Yourself Permission,” offers a transformative guide to unlocking one’s true potential, cultivating confidence, and embracing a life of fulfillment.
Cortney’s unique approach combines cutting-edge neuroscience, ancient wisdom, and practical techniques to provide invaluable insights and tools for personal growth.
02:45 How Cortney got into writing books?
- Started writing a blog while at corporate
- Got into industry initiatives on sustainability
07:30 How People Are Not Giving Themselves Permission
- People have fear of moving forward
- Cortney believes your greatest fear is that you can do it all, not that you are not enough
09:00 How Does The Mind Body Connection Work?
- We have 50,000-70,000 thoughts a day
- Thought impulses get connected to sensations
- Sensations are translated into emotions
- It’s best to feel the sensations fully
13:00 The Benefits of Feeling Your Sensations
- When you welcome the sensations in your life, you see the beauty of the experience
- You can stand back and watch the storms in your life
- This can help you integrate it into your life
- And this reduces the control that these emotions have on you
17:10 What About Past Trauma?
- Meditation practices are great for overcoming past trauma
- Shake out the body to release trauma
- You can be free like a child again
21:00 How Does Cortney Apply Neuroscience In Her Work?
- It’s important to get out of high beta frequencies
- Getting into alpha states can be quite helpful
24:15 How To Achieve your Dreams And Be Happy At The Same Time?
- Cortney recommends “Knowing Themself”
- Stay in connection with your essence
- This will allow you to be in touch with the inner part of you
- Two of the best meditations are yawning and laughing
31:20 How to Overcome Limiting Beliefs and Be Confident?
- Confidence comes from trust
- Just relax and trust a higher power
35:45 How Do You Give Up Control And Do Productive Work?
- Work does not need to come from hustle
- Doesn’t require hardcore dedication any more
40:30 How Could People Be Full Of Joy Or Neutral?
- Graceful aging is beautiful
- It’s very important to relax
- Give it over to a higher power
46:00 How Can People Find Cortney?
- Does very niche 1-1 work
- Write books
- Speaks on stages
- Here is Cortney’s website