Hey would you like to learn how to holistically feed you skin the right nutrients so that it is glowing from the inside out?
A lot of us focus on anti-aging procedures but those cost thousands of dollars and quite frankly are not as effective if you had some of the basics down first.
On this conversation I bring on Dr Mark Tager who has been in the aesthetic industry for decades and we discuss skin tips from his new book called Feed Your Skin Right.
Mark Tager, MD is CEO of San Diego-based ChangeWell Inc., an organization that trains and coaches healthcare practitioners to enhance their presence in person, on camera and online.
As a physician, he is well grounded in aesthetic, lifestyle, regenerative and integrative medicine.
02:45 Dr Mark Tager’s Background
- He’s been in integrative functional world for years
- 20 years ago got excited about aesthetics and helped bring Fraxel laser to market
- He’s happy that inside and outside wellness is going mainstream
04:30 Layers Of Skin
- Epidermis is outer layer with no blood flow
- Dermis has collagen, elastic, nerves, blood vessels
- Hypodermis has a lot of fat and muscle
08:00 The Building Blocks Of Collagen
- Amino acids, Vitamin C, iron and silicon is needed for body to create collagen
- 5% of blood flow goes to the skin to deliver these nutrients
- Must get diet in place before supplementing and doing procedures
- Combinations of phytonutrients are great in plants
10:00 Overarching Principles For Healthy Skin
- Eat foods like they were created
- Grains, veggies, some meat, fatty fish
- Avoid processed foods and sugary sweets at all costs
- Sugar, dairy and unhealthy fats can cause acne
18:50 Foods That Help Your Skin
- Eat foods as they appear in nature
- Cut out sugar
- Avoid foods with food reactions IgE
- Avoid foods with food sensitivities IgG
- Avoid foods with food intolerances – enzyme deficiencies or hydrochloric acid
- Correct Omega 3:6 ratio important. Currently 1:20.
- Avocado oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds are great to balance this ratio
- Omega-3’s are also anti-inflammatory
22:20 How To Do Food Testing
- Food, exercise, stress and sleep
- Basic blood tests: hsCRP, HbA1c, Ferritin, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D, choline
- Nutrigenomics: sometimes genetic variants require more nutrients of a particular type, or pigment, glycate, or break down collagen
- Microbiome: 16S consumer tests are broad but not functional, diversity and balance is important
- Food sensitivity tests
- Other GI tests: organic acids, Zonulin etc.
- Hormone testing: sex hormones, thyroid and dried urine tests
- Vegans are susceptible to low folate, B12, iron and collagen
30:30 Collagen Sources – What Are The Best?
- Collagen is made up of amino acids
- Hydrolyzed collagen works
- You can also get the amino acids from meat
- Bio-stimulatory procedures such as laser, microneedling or ultrasound can lightly injure skin
- This injury causes new collagen to be created in your skin
- Liposuction and fat transfer to face also works to recreate new fat
35:20 Lasers and Devices
- CO2 lasers can be surface level and also go deeper
- Removing pigment is also a good procedure
- Bio-stimulatory injectables are also helpful for helping recreate collagen
- Microneedling can disrupt the skin barrier and get into the skin
- Tightening procedures can sometimes be unreliable
41:00 Skincare Regimen
- Cleanse face
- Bioactive molecule – trial and error and find the one that works best
- Professional lines are better than others
Where To Get Dr Tager’s Book
- Get the book Feed Your Body Right on Amazon
- He is on Instagram at @DrMTager
- His inside skin beauty course is coming out soon