On this episode, Melanie Avalon and Faraz Khan discuss the lifestyle of a female fasting enthusiast and biohacker. Melanie shares her best fasting, nutrition, biohacking and beauty tips – these could seriously help you save time and money.
Melanie Avalon is a SAG-AFTRA actress author of “What When Wine: Lose Weight and Feel Great with Paleo-Style Meals, Intermittent Fasting, and Wine”, and host of the top iTunes podcasts “The Melanie Avalon Biohacking Podcast” and “The Intermittent Fasting Podcast” with NYT best seller co-host Gin Stephens.
Melanie is certified as a wine specialist by the WSET, as a holistic nutritionist by the AFPA, and is a member of Mensa International. Melanie developed the top iTunes app “Food Sense Guide” to help those with food sensitivities, and she currently runs 3 rapidly growing FB groups with over 10K members.
How did Melanie get into health and wellness?
- Was trying to lose weight in college
- Found Atkins and became obsessed with the science of fasting
- Started doing intermittent fasting and paleo lifestyle 10 years ago
- Had some personal health challenges which led her to find her own health answers
Melanie Has A Book, Two Podcasts And An App
- The Intermittent Fasting Podcast
- The Melanie Avalon Biohacking podcast
- Food Sense app on iTunes
- Author of a book called What, When, Wine – originally self published in 2014
- All links are below
Intermittent Fasting – What Does It Mean
- Intermittent fasting – Melanie likens this to the umbrella term of different windows of fasting
- Time restricted feeding and time restricted eating are also included
- Alternate day fasting: Eat normally one day and either fast completely the next day OR just 500 calories on the fasted day
- One meal a day (OMAD): Just eat one meal a day at a time of your choosing
- Melanie eats one meal a day – at night
Why Melanie Likes To Fast
- Your body starts to tap your fat stores for energy, hunger dissipates
- Melanie likes the weight loss component and having more energy
- She likes to eat the foods she enjoys
- Helps reduces brain fog and improve energy
- The biggest takeaway is that you should maintain a fasting lifestyle for the long term – instead of doing it temporarily
- Check out my podcast interview with Gin Stevens, who co-hosts The Intermittent Fasting podcast with Melanie
Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices
- Melanie is a huge fan of continuous monitoring devices
- They track your glucose levels really well
- It’s quite eye opening to see how blood sugar can fluctuate even without food
- Melanie learned how we individually react to foods are really really different
- The takeaway is to experiment with your foods and see what works for you
What Are Melanie’s Top Starter Biohacks?
- Take charge of light exposure – wear blue light blocking glasses at night. Helps wind your body down for sleep.
- Red and near infrared light – for matching circadian rhythm and for skin benefits
- Sleep hacks: blackout curtains, earplugs, mask, keeping the room cold, mattress cooler
What Are Melanie’s Advanced Biohacks?
- Somavedic for “blocking EMF’s” – She has seen very good improvements for HRV and readiness
- Oura ring – Melanie loves the oura ring to track sleep (deep, light, REM), movement, HRV.
- Cryotherapy – cold exposure increases metabolism, turns white fat into the good brown fat, decreases inflammation and improves immunity
- Red light therapy wand – red light improves energy production of your cells so they can do their jobs more effectively
Melanie’s Beauty Routine?
- Melanie’s biggest concern is cleaning up her beauty products to avoid harmful chemicals
- Many existing beauty and bath products have endocrine disruptors (disrupt your hormones), obesogens (cause obesity) and carcinogens (may cause cancer)
- Melanie has simple routines for morning and night-time
- Get your clean beauty products from Beautycounter – use this link for a special gift
Rapid Fire Community Questions
- Biggest disappointing biohack: Iodine supplement
- Biggest beginner books: David Sinclair’s Lifespan, Robb Wolff Paleo Solution and Wim Hoff’s The Wim Hoff Method
- Melanie’s serrapeptase supplement: Great for allergies, sinuses, inflammation. In the meantime, go to melanieavalon.com/serrapeptase
- Top 2 Favorite Actors: Blake Lively, Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp
Where You Can Find Melanie
- Melanie Avalon website
- Melanie’s food sense guide app
- Facebook groups: IF biohackers, Clean Beauty and Safe Skincare, Lumen Biosense and CGM’s
- Melanie’s handle on instagram and twitter: @melanieavalon
- Melanie Avalon Biohacking Podcast
- The Intermittent Fasting Podcast