Matty Lansdown is an in-demand Nutritionist, Scientist, International Speaker, Emotional Eating Coach, & Podcast Host who uses his knowledge and expertise in psychology and nutrition to facilitate transformational health stories by helping people answer the question “why cant I just eat healthy?”.
Through his programs Matty supports women to lose weight, get their energy back, boost their sex drive, get their confidence back & be kinder to themselves.
Matty also hosts a podcast called How To Not Get Sick and Die which is one of Australia’s favorite health and wellness podcasts.
02:30 Matty’s Background?
- His mom was a nurse, he spent a lot of time in hospitals with his mom
- Became a molecular biologist and worked with nutritional epigenetics and elite athletes
- Got into cancer research, started learning about eastern medicine
- Realized that being overweight was a challenge which led to other health conditions
- He realized that people knew what to do but they didn’t usually do it
- He started working with mindset and people’s relationship with food
08:30 Why Do People Not Change Their Behavior For Health
- People know what to do but they don’t do it
- Typically people use food or alcohol to change their emotional state
- Sugar, salt, alcohol gives you a hormonal and neurotransmitter experience – gives you a dopamine hit
- People use food as an emotional need to fill gaps
- Lack of skills to manage emotions often leads to overeating
15:30 What Drives The Emotional Need To Eat More?
- Pizza or ice-cream fixes the bad day people might have had at work
- Also, a birthday party can go the other way
- People want to feel love and connection
20:20 What Needs To Get Fixed For People To Overcome The Unhealthy Patterns?
- Instead of adding more stuff like healthy foods, meditation, healthy practices
- Matty prefers to remove a few things
- Reflect on your life and why you eat the foods and the way that you do
- Be curious about your habits
- This will give you deeper insights
- Otherwise only a scary diagnosis or family death will give you the impetus to change
26:00 What Role Does Trauma Play With Eating Habits?
- There are two schools of thought
- Food consumption is a trauma response: in childhood food was scarce
- Some people get hooked on sugar right after a traumatic event
- For other folks, they can just be addicted to sugars
28:45 Why Can People Not Stick To A Diet?
- People never dealt with their emotional trauma and relationship to food, so the eating continues.
- Some people feel so different after massive weight loss that they want to go back to who they were
34:15 What’s The Ideal Way With To Start Behavioral Change With Food?
- Finding a reason and motivation to change is important
- Matty believes in one tweak a week – make changes slowly so they stick
37:00 Why Does Willpower Not Last Long Term?
- It takes you too far outside your comfort zone
- The new health habits get incorporated into the identity – this is how it works best
38:50 How You Can Work With Matty?
- Matty wants his clients to join a community that has the same goals.
- The community helps you overcome challenges with family or friends not supporting you
- Once a week, they do zoom calls
- People are encouraged to share what’s going wrong with their diet so they can get support and heal