On this podcast, Faraz Khan and Zora Benhamou discuss how to boost energy in women over 50.
Zora Benhamou is a gerontologist, podcaster, and biohacker on a mission to challenge many health paradigms about women over 50. She is an international speaker on aging and longevity, specializing in relieving fatigue in peri- and post-menopausal women.
Zora is 52 years old, is a digital nomad, traveled to over 50 countries, lived in 8, and speaks 6 languages. She founded the website HackMyAge.com, the Hack My Age podcast, and is the author of the Longevity Master Plan and cookbook Eating For Longevity.
Zora received a Master of Gerontology at the prestigious University of Southern California and a BA at the University of California, Los Angeles. She is a certified sports nutrition coach, completed the Menopause for Athletes program by Dr. Stacy Sims, and is a certified Oxygen Advantage Advanced Instructor on breathwork.
- Was an expat lived in Brazil and Indonesia
- After children left the house, they started the nomad lifestyle
- Finished the gerontology program from USC this May
What Is a Gerontologist?
- A gerontologist studies aging from a biological, psychological and sociological perspective
- Study older adults and the whole life course before birth to death
- Study how that influences aging, study how we age, why we age
- Zora wants to improve the last 30 years of lifespan
- Zora wants to disrupt aging stereotypes
What Happens To People Mentally As They Age?
- Zora got her wake up call when her mother died of breast cancer at age 57
- Her dad died 10 years later of heart disease
- AIR model created by Paul Nash: acquisition, internalization and reinforcement
- Children as young as age 6 develop ageist stereotypes when they see their parents and grandparents
- Reinforce it by talking about aging and joking about it
What Are Key Findings From Zora’s Travels and Learning About Gerontology?
- 80% of people Zora interviewed believed that faith was the cause of their longevity
What Are Some Issues That We Don’t Cover In The Biohacking Community
- People need to be more aware of good, positive relationships
- They are very important for longevity
- Focus on nurturing your network
- Cut out toxic friends from your life
- You are the average of your 5 friends
What’s Changing In A Woman’s Body After Menopause?
- Most women have no idea about their cycle and the hormone changes during the month
- Many women are 4 different women in one month
- In perimenopause, women’s hormones are changing
- Many women can experience Brain fog, mood changes, weight gain
Is Thyroid A Problem For Women?
- Zora encourages women to look at thyroid if they have lower energy
- Stress also causes a hit in thyroid hormones
- Thyroid can cause weight gain, low energy and hair thinning
How To Preserve And Increase Energy For Women Over 50?
- Make sure to test your hormones, they’re very important
- Nutrition and exercise really helps
- Stop being around toxic people
- Zora helps people find the root cause of the problem
How Is Biohacking For Women Over 50 Different From Men Or Younger Women?
- Some biohacks don’t work on older women
- Most research was done on men before the 1970’s
- So most studies are based on men, we need more research for women
- We also need research on older adults
- Zora encourages women to try biohacks, but measure the data to determine if those work for them
What Can People Do Today To Increase Chances To Live Longer?
- If you’re white, you might live longer
- If you’re rich, you will live a bit longer
- If you’re a woman, you will likely live longer
- Genetics only control your destiny by 10-20%
- Smoking is one of the biggest risk factors, so don’t smoke
- Obesity is a big risk factor for health
- Exercise is fantastic for a longer life
- Take stress really seriously and reduce it as quickly as possible
Zora’s Program To Reboot Energy For Women?
- 4 week program for women to reboot energy 50+
- Every week you get homework, Q&A, weekly experts to help you on your journey
- Sign up at the waitlist on hackmyage.com and get 10% off.
Where Else Can You Find Zora
- @hackmyage on Facebook and instagram, her website is HackMyAge
- Zora’s clubhouse: biohacking women 50+