On this podcast, Faraz Khan and Dani Hamilton discuss how you can get out of the high carb/high sugar cycle and lose weight and balance hormones in the process.
Danielle Hamilton is a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner & Restorative Wellness Practitioner who specializes in blood sugar regulation & digestion.
She was able to reverse her PCOS, cystic acne, PMS & weight loss resistance by reversing Insulin Resistance.
Her mission is to help others uncover their blood sugar & insulin issues, as well as help them optimize digestion for low-carb diets. She is the host of the Unlock the Sugar Shackles Podcast and the creator of the Blood Sugar Mastery Program.
02:30 How Dani Got Into Health & Wellness
- Was unwell quite often as a kid and also in high school
- Developed seasonal allergies, but couldn’t figure out why
- Had multiple conditions in her 20’s too
- Started the paleo diet and had big improvements in health
- Then got PCOS
- Dani learned the hard way how to balance her blood sugar, reversed her PCOS and lost weight in the process
What Is Blood Sugar And Why Does It Matter?
- Over 93% of US adults have metabolic issues
- Eating processed carbs releases a lot of sugar/glucose in the blood
- Your pancreas release insulin, which moves the glucose into your cells
- Healthy metabolism should burn sugar and fat easily
- Eating processed carbs, too many carbs and eating too often releases lot of insulin
- Insulin blocks your body from using stored fat, so you need more energy from fast carbohydrates
27:15 What’s The Difference Between Burning Sugar And Burning Fat?
- Your body burns sugar first if its available
- Then when the sugar runs out, you should be able to switch to burning your own fat
- But when there is too much insulin in the blood because of high blood sugar, your cells start to become resistant to insulin
- That prevents your metabolism from being flexible
33:10 What’s The Progression Of Insulin Resistance?
- Due to persistent high blood sugar, insulin stays high and your cells become resistant to insulin
- Insulin resistance can also be caused by lack of sleep and stress
- Healthy glucose levels when you wake up (fasting glucose): 70-85 or 3.9-4.8 mmol
- Early problems happen when blood sugar goes to 86-99, you might be gaining weight, be irritable, hangry, energy swings, headaches, needing to start grazing
- Now insulin resistance builds, and fasting blood sugar goes over 100. This is when you’re pre-diabetic.
- Fasting insulin is also important: try to keep it under 5
45:15 Best Ways To Track Blood Sugar
- Continuous glucose monitor is the best
- You can also see the spikes in blood sugar due to food, exercise, stress and sleep
- This will help you understand your body really well
- Paying attention to symptoms is important as well
52:02 How To Reverse Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes
- First tip is to switch to real foods as they are found in nature
- Tip 2: have carbs at the end of your meal
- Tip 3: move after meals, 10-15 minute walks
- Tip 4: avoid vegetable oils and seed oils
01:01:01 How Dani Can Help You Lower Your Sugar
- Dani has a course to help you lower blood sugar levels
- She shares information on nutritional basics, how to eat more fat, digestion and gut health, support gentle detoxification, how to read glucose data and how to eat carbs.
- Also includes coaching calls and accountability
- Dani’s program is called Blood Sugar Mastery