How Gene Therapy can Help You Stop Aging, Build Muscles, and Fight Diseases
On this episode of Anti-Aging Hacks, I discuss Gene Therapies and Gene Editing with Liz Parrish, who is the CEO of Bioviva.
Specifically, we get into the following topics:
1. What is Gene Therapy and how Practical is it?
2. How Gene Therapies or Gene Editing help you Stop Aging, Build Muscle and Fight Disease?
3. Could you take your body back to your much younger self?
My guest is Liz Parrish, and Liz is a humanitarian, entrepreneur, innovator, and a leading voice for genetic cures. As a strong proponent of progress and education for the advancement of regenerative medicine modalities, she serves as a motivational speaker to the public at large for the life sciences. She is actively involved in international educational media outreach and is a founding member of the International Longevity Alliance (ILA).
Here are the highlights from our conversation:
How Bioviva was Incorporated 6:20
Why Graceful Aging is a Myth 9:05
- If people want to age, then that is their right
- All the signs of aging are not signs of health, but of cellular degeneration over time
- In the future, we will have a lot more productive years under our belts, and humans will be able to do multiple jobs
What is Gene Therapy 13:00
- Natural process, happens in the environment or when you get a virus
- Guided gene therapy uses a virus that cannot get you sick
- This virus is loaded with a beneficial gene and transported to the cells for delivery into the cell
- Can integrate into genome of humans, or can just sit outside the chromosome in the cell
- These injected genes create proteins, and we can program for the regenerative proteins to be regenerated, for example to increase muscle mass, or brain function, or telomere length
How Long to Measure Impact of Gene Therapy 15:00
- Some Gene Therapies can be measured in the proteins in blood
- Some might need to use other factors such as measuring length of Telomeres
Liz did two Gene Therapies on herself 16:35
- Has done a Telomerase inducer (learn about reversing aging using Telomerase)
- Has done a myostatin which increases size of muscles (how to grow muscle without gene therapy)
- Saw reduced Triglycerides, blood glucose, really low CRP (inflammation), improved Telomere length (33 year improvement), increased muscle mass and decreased fat
- Looking to do Klotho gene therapy this year
- Testing out new delivery framework that can deliver multiple genes (on mice)
How Long Does Gene Therapy Last 19:05
- Should last at least 10 years, but will find out
- If lifespan extended massively, then may need to do repeat therapies
- The gene in the cell may or may not be carried over when a new copy of the cell is made
- CRISPR is gene editing technology, and is delivered in the same way as Gene Therapy
- CRISPR can cut out genes that are problematic, such as the ones for Huntington disease.
- CRISPR can also replace bad genes with a gene of choice, which could lead to designer babies
- Uses Adino Associated Virus (AAV), which is much simpler
- Looking at yet another delivery method that can deliver multiple genes
What is Bioviva doing 24:00
- Watching gene editing technology
- Translating information from various different labs to their sister company, which is doing the gene therapies
Who is the right candidate for Gene Therapies 25:15
- Lots of candidates, but specifically aging populations and anti-aging enthusiasts
- Most candidates have advanced diagnostics, so looking to see what changes the gene therapies can effect
- Launching multi-omic repository where the biohackers can streamline outcomes and share their data
Could we Halt Aging at 25 year old body 30:50
- Gene Therapy could be a great anti-aging and longevity technique
- Multiple gene therapies are being tested, and the list is growing
- We need human data to make that happen
Why does Gene Therapy Cost Millions of Dollars 36:18
- Need to create the gene therapies for patients which cost millions of dollars
- Need to do so much paperwork with the FDA and other organizations
- Other countries have faster regulatory approval
Links to Bioviva and Liz's Contacts 37:22
- Liz is also on Facebook
Subscribe to the Podcast using these links:
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.